Santa Rosa Library Advisory Board Regular Meeting
SANTA ROSA LIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD MINUTES
Sonoma County Library
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Northwest Santa Rosa Library
150 Coddingtown Center
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
In attendance: Library Advisory Board Chair Sarah Laggos, Northwest Library Branch Manager Lara Mayelian, Central Library Branch Manager Kate Keaton, Friends of the Santa Rosa Libraries Vice President Joe Seymour, Fund Development Manager Sirie Thongchua, Public Services Division Manager Lana Adlawan, LAB Member Cynthia Denenholz, Youth Member Christine Bell, Youth Member Lily Amaturo, Rincon Library Branch Manager Bill Coolidge, LAB Member Thaiane Hensch, Library Commissioner Karen Schneider
- CALL TO ORDER: 7:02pm
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes of the July 31, 2019 meeting were approved.
- PUBLIC APPEARANCES
There were no public appearances.
- SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS & INTRODUCTION
Sarah asked Sirie to talk about her new role at the library. Sirie stated that as the Fund Development Manager, her goal is fundraising, especially for the Roseland Library. She is also working directly with the Library Foundation for a robust fundraising campaign. Sirie has been attending all LAB and Friends meetings as an introduction.
- ACTION ITEMS
- DISCUSSION ITEMS
- Meeting dates and locations for 2020 meetings
The group decided on the following dates and locations for 2020 meetings:
January 29th at Central Library
March 25th at Central Library
May 27th at Northwest Library
August 5th at Rincon Library
September 30th at Roseland Library
November 18th at Rincon Library
- Sarah asked the group for feedback on the all LAB meeting that was held in June. The November 16th meeting was canceled due to lack of available members attending. Feedback was: what is the role of the lab, whether there was enough content for an all-day event, not enough communication with the LAB (example, unaware the library is now fine-free). Sarah stated she was seeking more defined and real outcomes instead of brainstorming sessions. Karen mention that the LAB may better understand the library’s needs after the new strategic planning plan.
Reports and updates on library governance, management, programs, services and support group activities as well as City Council matters. All items are for discussion only.
7.1 Youth Members’ Report
Christine talked about an American Sign Language program she recently attended. She’d like the library to host more. Lilly mentioned the current McMillian e-book embargo and getting the word out to support the library.
- 7.2 Friends of the Santa Rosa Library Report
Joe stated there is a December sale at the Central Forum Room December 5th through December 8th. The Friends receive approximately 20-40 boxes of book a day, sometimes 70 a day! The rising cost of the rental of veterans building and transporting of the books is affecting their overall sales. Joe reported that the Friends granted the Santa Rosa branches their 20019/2020 funding requests—thank you Joe! Additional funds will be earmarked for the new Roseland Library as well as a bookmobile. The Friends are seeking a youth member for their board.
- 7.3 Library Commissioners’ Report
Karen is working with Division Manager Sarah Vantrease to move the county archives because its current location is very close to the recent fires. Karen and Sarah are working with the county on this.
- 7.4 Library Director’s Report
Division Manager Lana Adlawan provided the report since the Director was unable to attend. Lana thanked the Santa Rosa Library Branch Managers for their team effort to continue services during the Kincade Fires. Kate and Javier did outreach to evacuation centers and Lara brought pizza to Rohnert Park staff. The Roseland Library won’t be opening in January due to ADA issues, occupancy requirements and permit delays. The library hopes to open the Roseland Library sometime between March and May, 2020.
- 7.5 Feedback to Branch Managers’ Reports
The members thanked the Branch Managers for their commitment to the community through the fires.
- 7.6 City Council Liaison Report
There was no report.
- ADVISORY BOARD INFORMATION ITEMS
- FOLLOW-UP & NEXT STEPS
The meeting was adjourned at 7:49pm.
The next meeting will be Wednesday, January 29th at 7pm at the Central Branch.
- Wednesday, November 20, 2019
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm
- Northwest Santa Rosa Library