Event box

Santa Rosa Library Advisory Board Regular Meeting

 SANTA ROSA LIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD MINUTES (DRAFT)
Sonoma County Library
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
7:00 pm
Central Santa Rosa Library
211 E Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

 

In attendance:  Library Advisory Board Chair Sarah Laggos, LAB Member Thaiane Hensch, LAB member Bruce Hartman LAB Member Cynthia Denenholz, Youth Member Lily Amaturo Ex-Officio members:  Northwest Library Branch Manager Lara Mayelian, Rincon Library Branch Manager Bill Coolidge, Central Library and Roseland Community Library Branch Manager Kate Keaton, Friends of the Santa Rosa Libraries President Sarah Swearingen, Public Services Division Manager Lana Adlawan, LAB Library Commissioner Karen Schneider

  1. CALL TO ORDER:  7:00pm
  2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF November 20, 2019
    The minutes were approved with two small corrections.
  1. PUBLIC APPEARANCES
    There were no public appearances.
  1. SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS & INTRODUCTIONS
    None.
  1. ACTION ITEMS
    None.
  1. DISCUSSION ITEMS
    None. 
  1. REPORTS
    Reports and updates on library governance, management, programs, services and support group activities as well as City Council matters. All items are for discussion only.

7.3   Library Commissioners’ Report
LAB agreed to start with Karen Schneider’s report as she had to leave early.  Karen just returned from American Library Association (ALA) Mid-Winter Conference which was in Philadelphia this year. Karen is on the ALA Executive Board. She reported that speaker Wes Moore was terrific.  The Commission will attend a financial retreat in March. Each commissioner is to set priorities. Karen’s priorities are to finish projects started and support Roseland Community Library. Karen also spent some time discussing the Archives building and materials.  This is a concern to all commissioners as the building (located at Los Guilicos) is not in good shape and the materials are not stored properly. An inventory is planned and both county records and library archives will be identified. Members had many questions about the process. Digitizing would be a goal but could be extremely expensive. Volunteers could help but this work does need to have the expertise of an archivist.  There is currently an RFP for the initial work of the inventory.

7.1 Youth Members’ Report
Christine was unable to attend the meeting but Lily reported that both youth members are very interested in the revamping of the teen area at Central.  Among suggestions to solicit input from teens was to have a suggestion box.  Kate will be in contact with both Christine and Lily to discuss other ways to get input. Lily also asked about translations in young adult literature as teens want exposure to other cultures. She also asked about Spanish language materials. Rincon Valley Library shelves its Spanish language teen books separately and Central, Northwest and Roseland interfile Spanish language materials with the rest of the teen collection. Lara also promised to share Melissa Carroll’s booklist “Own Voices”. Lara then mentioned the controversy over the Oprah Book Club title American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.

7.2 Friends of the Santa Rosa Libraries Report
Sarah reported that the Friends Board met with Ann Hammond in January. Ann talked about the Strategic Plan that Sonoma County Library is now developing. She also
gave an update on the Roseland Community Library and the Friends shared that they are excited to be a part of this.  The next book fair is February 21st-23rd.  Presidents of all the Friends groups met with Reece Foxen, head of the Library Commission and they talked about the Measure Y surplus. This surplus results when the library gets unanticipated money or money designated doesn’t get spent. The Friends presidents reported that hearing about this in advance would really help. Sarah also said that she as a LAB member would like to know whom the LAB is advising and how does the LAB best support the library.

7.4 Library Director’s Report
Division Manager Lana Adlawan provided the report since the Director was unable to attend. Lana reported that the library is in the early stages of the budget process and the Commission will begin to address it at Monday’s meeting. The system is looking at the physical spaces and is working toward more modern and inviting areas. Lana also shared Kathy DeWeese’s article about reading as a child. Lana shared the concept images for the new Roseland Library space.  The space will reflect the community and will be festive and vibrant.  There is interest in getting the works of Roseland artists into the building. The library is currently settling on finishes and furniture.  The hope is that the work will be finished by summer but a better timeline is to come.

A community drop-in meeting will be held at Central on Monday, February 24th from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. to address the upcoming branch “uplift”.  This uplift will include increasing the teen space, adding lounge furniture and bringing the E Street Studio up to the main floor. (Information about the studio can be found here.) Lana finished by reporting on the recent downtown planning efforts. Some decisions may be made in March when the City of Santa Rosa can begin to determine if they can fund the downtown plan. This plan would cost approximately $260 million.

7.5 Feedback to Branch Managers’ Reports
LAB members thanked the branches for their reports.  Lara added to her report by sharing a couple of new programs that Northwest is launching.  Northwest Library now provides and English Conversation class. It is not part of Literacy but the woman leading the group is a former literacy volunteer. Northwest is also providing two volunteers who will help people fill out forms as needed.  This service will be offered on Monday evenings. And, staff shared information about the literacy promos that are airing on two radio stations KNOB (96.7) and KRSH (95.9).

7.6 City Council Liaison Report
There was no report.

  1. ADVISORY BOARD INFORMATION ITEMS
    Bruce Hartman shared an article. Here is the link: https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/library-smart-city-hub-digital-intelligence-inlcusion/569012/ . Bruce highlighted some of the ways that libraries are increasing services including having branches in public housing, having government agencies in libraries, creating mobility hubs and more. Bruce also raised the question of privacy and the relationship between libraries and their vendors. Is patron privacy being protected. 
  1. FOLLOW-UP & NEXT STEPS
    No items.
  2. ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 pm. Next meeting: Wednesday, March 25 at 7pm at the Rincon Valley Library.

Date:
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Time:
7:00pm - 8:00pm
Time Zone:
Pacific Time - US & Canada (change)
Campus:
Central Santa Rosa Library
Categories:
  :::: Library Advisory Board  

Other events...