Windsor Library Advisory Board
SONOMA COUNTY LIBRARY
WINDSOR REGIONAL LIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD
4:00 pm. Tuesday, January 8, 2019
Windsor Regional Library - 9291 Old Redwood Highway, Bldg. 100
- CONVENING: 4:02 p.m.
Present-LAB members “D” Graner, Alys Hay, Mike Neely; Library Commissioner Randall Neff; Branch Manager Aleta Dimas; Sarah Vantrease; Ken MacNab, Acting Town Manager
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: None
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES of previous meeting: minutes not available for approval
- REPORTS & UPDATES
- TOWN COUNCIL LIAISON REPORT: Ken MacNab showed the current vision of the Civic Center, including an expanded Town Green and a relocated library. It is only a vision, as several issues need to be resolved (financing, where to move the police department, where to move the school district offices, what to do with Huerta Gymnasium). The Town has solicited a proposal for the mixed-use building and selected Robert Green Co. They will consider buying the Windsor Fuel Company property next year. As far as the library goes, the issue is who pays for the building. The JPA says the Town is responsible for providing a building. If there were joint use of the building, that might change financing options. The apartment complex next to Oliver’s is ready for a permit but the developer is having problems getting a contractor due to the fire. The approval expires in May and an extension may be required. The owners of the Staubli building are not interested in relocating. SMART has funding for Windsor and hope to start service in 2022. Encore Events has the building next to Russian River Brewing, which is an office plus a warehouse for equipment.
- LIBRARY DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sarah presented the report saying a new director (Ann Hammond of Lexington, KY) has been hired and will start March 11. She previously worked in Alameda and San Diego. The administration is developing plans for the surplus Measure Y funds. They are installing new LED lights in several branches. The History and Genealogy facility has been reopened and will have an open house January 9.
- LIBRARY COMMISSIONER’S REPORT: Randall reported the Library also hired a Community Relations Manager and that the last seat on the Commission (a joint position between the County and Santa Rosa) has now been filled. A temporary store-front facility had been found for Roseland.
- BRANCH MANAGER’S REPORT: Vicki and Aleta attended the California Library Association conference, which focused on Equity and Access to Library Facilities. There was training in collection development, deselection, removing barriers to access and teaching tech to patrons. New gondolas (funded by FoWL) are now installed. The library has received a grant from California State Library to work with a design consultant to plan a small Teen Space in the library. Last quarter, the library did outreach to schools, Windsor Head Start, Children’s Circle, Kinder Circle, Windsor State Preschool, and Montessori in Motion. A 3D printing workshop was presented at Cali Calmécac and Windsor Creek. The library participated in the Christmas tree and Scarecrow exhibits on the Town Green. The BiblioBop Dance Party with Curious George had over 400 participants. The library also participated in an event with the Windsor Service Alliance, reaching over 200 people. A new eBook help for Adults is now offered monthly. The January SAT preparation class is fully subscribed (with a wait list). Native American Heritage month events were well attended.
- FRIENDS OF THE WINDSOR LIBRARY REPORT: Book cart sales are picking up after the holidays. They have added a new shelf of large print books that has proved to be successful. They have received many donations recently.
- DISCUSSION ITEMS: no date has been set yet for the All LAB Day event.
- Goals for 2019: Recruitment of LAB members
- ACTION ITEMS
- Use of Outreach fund: the LAB voted to sponsor a band event on the green, preferably in weeks 2-4
- MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENTS: Future events include an Energy Independence Workshop, Social Media Safety for Teens and Adults, Tech Classes and a Meet the Author event with Mac Barnett.
- ADJOURNMENT: 5:10 p.m.
Tuesday April 11, 2019 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 8, 2019
- 4:00pm - 5:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Pacific Time - US & Canada (change)
- Windsor Regional Library