Sonoma Valley Library Advisory Board Meeting
The Library Advisory Board for the Sonoma Valley Library meets at Sonoma Valley Library, 755 West Napa Street, Sonoma CA.
All meetings are open to the public.
MEETING NOTES Thursday, December 12 2019
LAB members present: Joanne Sanders , Ken Brown, Janice Chadwin , Barbara Hall , Laurell Meredith, Beverly Seyfert, Zanett Velazquez (Youth member) . Also present: Commissioner Thomas Haeuser, Robin Kunde, Marge Thomas, Janet Constantino, Susan Shinomoto, Karen Saunders, Diana Spaulding, Sirie Thongchua
- CALL TO ORDER: 3:40
- Friends Report –Approved more liability insurance for volunteers-Discussion about funding summer reading program and book giveaways.
- Commissioner Report—Library has decided Roseland will not be properly funded by county so library will try to find/build a facility for Roseland. Library will embark on a capital campaign to fund .
- Library Director or Designee Report—Sirie Thongchua reported on Author Series—high caliber of authors. Presented Library News highlighting E St Studio, Chromebooks.
- Branch Manager Report (Diane) 46 Chromebook Kits have arrived and are popular. Includes hot spots—almost all are always checked out. Author Lisa See at our branch on Feb. 5. Holiday Tamamle making popular event; Teen Yoga popular, too. Presented library usage information as part of an ongoing discussion about system-wide hours. Remodeling of meeting room and managers office presented. A hardcopy of this manager’s report was presented at this meeting and emailed to LAB members.
- City Council Liaison Report -None –The LAB has not had city representation for a long time.
- APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE August 8, 2019 MEETING.(October 10 meeting canceled due to power outage in Sonoma). Motion by Beverly, seconded by Ken. Approved.
- PUBLIC APPEARANCES OR LETTERS
Robin Kunde reported on the Kunde bequest. $37,500 from the Kunde account was delivered to the library.
- DISCUSSION ITEMS AND POSSIBLE ACTION ITEMS
- Introduction of new Youth LAB member: Zanett Velaquez. Zanettt is a senior at Sonoma Valley High School, a long-time volunteer. Her senior project is on the relevance of libraries in a progressively digital age.
- The LAB is interested in continuing to look at library use data. Try to brainstorm ideas for publizing expanded hours, Zanett’s paper.
- OTHER ITEMS
Ken praised the library and staff
Possible discussion items for future meetings:
Study pods proposed.
Brainstorm ideas to publicize expanded hours—signage?
DATE OF NEXT MEETING: THURSDAY, February 13, 2020
TIME OF NEXT MEETING: 3:45 P.M.
Sonoma Valley Library, Forum Room
- Thursday, December 12, 2019
- 3:45pm - 5:00pm
- Sonoma Valley Regional Library