Santa Rosa Library Advisory Board
SANTA ROSA LIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD
Sonoma County Library
Wednesday, March 29, 2017
Central Library – Board Room
In attendance: Library Advisory Board: Nancy Persons, Barbara Fisher, Cynthia Denenholz, Diane Reyes, Marlen Chavez, Ann Jicha; Ex-Officio Members: Brett Lear, Library Director, Tracy Gray, Central Branch Manager, Jennifer Duran, Rincon Valley Branch Manager, Kate Keaton, Northwest Branch Manager; Absent: Josue Lopez, Frank Morabito; Ex-Officio Members: David Ebright, Library Commissioner, Linda Garcia, Library Commissioner, City of Santa Rosa Councilmember
- CALL TO ORDER
Chair Nancy Persons called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF January 25, 2017
Cynthia Denenholz moved to approve the minutes. Diane Reyes seconded the approval of the minutes.
- PUBLIC APPEARANCES
An opportunity for members of the public to address the Library Advisory and Friends’ Boards; times are limited to 3 minutes and may be changed at the Library Advisory Board’s discretion.
No public appearances.
- SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS & INTRODUCTIONS
Nancy Persons shared that Central Branch Librarian Rachel Icaza will be at her information literacy class at Santa Rosa Junior College. Rachel will be shadowing the class and also giving a presentation.
Library Director Brett Lear will be on KRCB at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4th.
Tracy Gray announced the passing of longtime SCL employee, Solomon Tesfai who worked at Central Branch for over 16 years.
Kate Keaton announced that Jacqueline Martinez, the new Roseland librarian will arrive in April.
- DISCUSSION ITEMS
5.1 LAB bylaws
- Revisions and current/updated version: discussed edits and updates as needed.
- Barbara Fisher moved to move the edited/changes to an action item at the next meeting. Diane Reyes seconded the motion.
- Nancy Persons suggested including an “Action Item” as part of each meeting agenda.
- How to access:
- Correct information (based on bylaws and Joint Powers agreement) on library website (meeting dates, member eligibility requirements, City Council liaison, etc.)
5.2 Recruitment of new members: suggestions were discussed about how to promote membership and expand the role of the Library Advisory Board members.
Reports and updates on library governance, management, programs, services and support group activities as well as City Council matters. All items are for discussion only.
- 1 Youth Members’ Report: Video games and libraries: circulating as media, but difficult; some libraries are purchasing gaming equipment and having sessions for teenagers to come in and play video games; sometimes it increases library circulation; 15% of libraries loan video games to patrons to take home, one librarian in Texas stated that by circulating video games, it increased other library material circulation. Library Director commented that SCL is planning to have computer labs in all of the libraries by next year.
- 2 Library Commissioners’ Report: no report, Commissioners absent
- 3 Library Director’s Report: Working on 2017/18 budget – will bring to Commission at the Commission meeting next week; scheduled to open on Mondays in May; working with developer and Roseland community group on building the Roseland library.
- 4 Feedback to Branch Managers’ Reports: Nancy Persons had comments about the goals; Cynthia Denenholz asked clarification about increasing self-check out; Nancy Persons commented about one of the goals of Northwest branch doing joint programming with the Santa Rosa Junior College; Nancy Persons asked if Northwest received feedback from Cloverdale regarding the refresh and one-desk model; Nancy Persons asked about the goal regarding training for new technology and asked if the library had plans to circulate mobile hotspots; Nancy Persons commented regarding Rincon Valley goals and the importance of reaching out to senior communities to help them stay up to date with technology and help them access technology, and devices related to audio and vision issues; Nancy Persons commented about Rincon Valley doing outreach to the senior communities and teaching them technology; Nancy Persons asked Tracy Gray about utilizing the outdoor courtyard more for events and things.
- 5 Friends of the Santa Rosa Library Report: no report, liaison absent
- 6 City Council Liaison Report: no report, liaison absent
- ADVISORY BOARD INFORMATION ITEMS
An opportunity for Members to present brief, factual information about their library, respond to public comments, place items on the next agenda, or request information from the Library Commissioners, Director or Branch Managers.
- FOLLOW-UP & NEXT STEPS
A review of follow-up responsibilities for members and staff.
- ADJOURNMENT—Next meeting: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
- Wednesday, March 29, 2017
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm
- Central Santa Rosa Library