Event box

Windsor Library Advisory Board

MINUTES

SONOMA COUNTY LIBRARY

WINDSOR REGIONAL LIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD

5:00 pm. Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Windsor Regional Library - 9291 Old Redwood Highway, Bldg. 100

  1. CONVENING: 5:02 p.m.

Present-LAB members: Pam Arnold, Sarah Baker, “D” Graner; Alys Hay, Mike Neely. Also present: Library Commissioner Randall Neff; Branch Manager Aleta Dimas; Library Public Services Division Manager Sarah Vantrease, Town Manager John Jansons.

 

  1. PUBLIC COMMENTS: None
  2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Approved with corrections to spelling: “Lasalle” and “the”
  3. REPORTS & UPDATES
    1. TOWN COUNCIL LIAISON REPORT:  John Jansons said construction on the housing next to Oliver’s has not started because the developer is still lining up contractors and sub-contractors.  The Town Council has identified a possible developer for the rest of the town green area.  There will be a workshop this week to discuss the preliminary plans for the 60-acre parcel on Jensen Lane.  The concerts on the green have been successful.  There is a chili cookoff Saturday on the green.
    2. LIBRARY DIRECTOR’S REPORT:  Sara Vantrease reported that there have been several new hires for the library:  Interim Director Susan Hildreth; a new person to connect to the schools and make sure each school is connected to a branch; and a new Adult Services Director.  The refresh of the Northwest Branch is complete.  The Santa Rosa LAB will organize an all-LAB meeting in Rohnert Park in the fall.
    3. LIBRARY COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:   Commissioner Neff said the new fiscal year has started; there is a surplus from last year because the sales tax revenues were higher than forecast and expenditures were lower due to some delayed hiring.  There will be no expansion of service hours this year.  The surplus will be used for capital expenditures (materials, etc.). Several commissioners will be retiring.  The contract with the union expired and has been extended for three months.  They need to review the impact of the recent Supreme Court ruling concerning public service unions.  The Roseland facility now shared with the Boys and Girls Club will be torn down; a new warehouse facility has been leased for five years.  The Commission hopes to have a separate space for the library so it can be open when the Boys and Girls Club is open.
    4. BRANCH MANAGER’S REPORT:   Aleta Dimas said Tiffany Bronzan is on leave for the summer and Kerrie Gavgavian is interim children’s librarian.  FoWL has supported the purchase of new media gondola shelving and slat-wall endcaps to make it easier to browse the collection.   There is a new ‘Hublet’ for tablets that can be checked out with a library card and used only in the library (security).  Self-check accounted for about 35% of checkout, similar to other branches.  The carpet was evaluated by the town and found to be safe.  Aleta and Tiffany represented the library at the Cali Calemecac spring performances, reaching 3,200 community members. Mattie Washburn and Windsor Christian School first graders visited the library in May. Additional summer reading outreach was done to other schools, the Windsor Community Center, Huerta Gym pre-school, and Advance program graduation.  They have signed up 1,446 people in the summer reading program.  The Mystery Book Club continues at the Senior Center.  Vicki hosted a Together at the Table event on LGBTQ issues at both Windsor and Guernville.  She will be working on similar events on income inequality in August. 
    5. FRIENDS OF THE WINDSOR LIBRARY REPORT:  Diane Graner said the book cart is averaging over $400 per week and they raised over $300 at each of 2 Farmer’s Markets.  The quilt raffle is on-going.  They approved a budget of $43,295 (largest ever).  The Spring Art Show was very successful.  FoWL changed their by-laws to conform to Brown Act requirements. 

 

  1. DISCUSSION ITEMS

5.1 Recruitment of LAB members:  Pam will contact Cheryl Lasalle to see if she is interested.  Aleta will prepare a recruiting flyer and will check with staff to identify potential members who use the library regularly

5.2 Change meeting time:  We will move the meeting time to 4.00 p.m.

 

  1. ACTION ITEMS
    1. Nomination and Election of Officers.  New officers elected:  Chair Mike Neely, Secretary Sarah Baker  Nominated:Vice-Chair Alys Hay,
    2. Change By-laws regarding ex officio members.  Since the LAB is not a non-profit organization but a semi-governmental group, that should not be necessary.

 

  1. MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENTS:  Pam said it would be good to have a review of the Brown Act requirements.  Randy said there is an on-line program available and he will send information. 

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT: 5:58 p.m.

 

NEXT MEETING

Tuesday October 9, 2018 4:00 p.m.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Mike Neely, Secretary

Date:
Tuesday, July 10, 2018
Time:
5:00pm - 6:00pm
Time Zone:
Pacific Time - US & Canada (change)
Branch:
Windsor Regional Library
Categories:
  - Adult -     : Event > Meeting/Conference     [Community Engagement]     :::: Library Advisory Board  

Other events...